How to create an auto-quiz?
We’re pretty excited to introduce a completely new type of quiz format to Riddle – the auto-quiz.
With traditional quizzes – you create around one static set of questions, publish, and then move on creating the next one.
Our auto-quiz is different.
What’s an auto-quiz?
It’s designed to be ‘evergreen’ content – displaying a new set of questions to your site visitors every hour, day, week, month, or year.
Create an auto-quiz to boost your audience engagement, time on site (great for getting more SEO love from Google), and keep your visitors coming back for more.
- You can upload up to 10,000 questions via CSV or copy/paste into our tool – with your own category, sub-category, and difficulty level.
- For example, you could give your question “How many wives did Henry VIII have?”:
- Category: History
- Sub-category: European history
- Difficulty: 5 / 10
Setting up your auto-quiz
Creating your auto-quiz is pretty similar to our other quiz types – including a title screen/description, results, and the like.
The main difference is how you add questions.
You can either:
- Choose an assortment of questions from our pre-loaded questions of up to 10,000 questions for selected languages (Basic and Pro plans).
- Create your question bank – with your questions, categories, and difficulty levels (Team plan only).
The process is the same:
- Create a new ‘Auto-quiz’
- In the ‘create’ step, click on the ‘Question bank’ tile
- Select your question bank (the list of questions for your quiz)
- Choose which categories (or subcategories) of questions you’d like to include in this quiz
- Adjust the range of difficulty for each category (from 1-easy to 10-hard)
Creating your own question bank
When selecting your question bank, click on ‘create your own’.
You can add questions in three ways:
- Manually typing questions and answers
- Copy/paste from Excel
- Import your questions as a CSV or Excel/XLS file
IMP’T: For #2 and #3 – your content must match the same column order as our sheet.
Please download our sample CSV here. You can use this to build your own question bank upload file.
[Updated: July 8, 2020 – just a note. Be cautious when importing questions as a CSV file and using semicolons in your question or answer text. By definition, CSVs are broken up by ; and , – so using semicolons will cause your question/answers to show up as different entries.]
- Our text: “Amsterdam; The Hague is the seat of government…”
- What happens: “The Hague is the seat of government…” is moved to the next column (Category) and shows up as its own category.
- Category – you can also add a subcategory with the ‘:’ (ex. Sports:Soccer)
- Difficulty – must be a number from 1-10 (easy to hard)
- Question text
- Correct answer explanation (optional) – you can leave this blank
- Correct answer
- Wrong answer(s) – you need at least one wrong answer
Our auto-quiz currently supports text-only questions. We thought auto-quizzes would have loads of questions – and adding individual images would be very time-consuming.
But, if you’d like to have us add image support, please let us know via support chat – we’d love to hear that feedback.
Editing a question bank
You can also easily create/manage/edit question banks in the menu in top right corner.
Changing refresh options
You can also change how often your auto-quiz will display new questions to your quiz takers.
- Edit your auto-quiz
- Go to the ‘Customize’ step > ‘More+’ tab
- Select the time interval – hour/day/week/month/year
Manually reset questions
Sometimes, you might want to refresh which questions are displayed – before the next scheduled set of questions appears.
- Go to the ‘Advanced’ step
- Click on ‘Reset questions’
Can we help?
And of course, if you need any further assistance with your auto-quiz, feel free to contact us on support chat or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re super excited about launching our auto-quiz – and we’re always happy to help!