How to create an auto-quiz / quiz generator?
We’re pretty excited to introduce a completely new type of quiz format to Riddle – the quiz generator (AKA auto-quiz), which always displays new questions from the spreadsheet of questions you upload.
(That’s 15 content formats in our quiz creator if you’re counting – like we are!)
With traditional quizzes – you create around one static set of questions, publish, and then move on creating the next one.
Our quiz generator / auto-quiz is different.
You can create quizzes in 6 languages using our large trivia question databases with a wide range of topics or you quickly upload your own spreadsheet of questions – and boom!
You’ve got a ready-made, always-fresh quiz experience for your audience – refreshed at whatever time interval you set.
One quiz – infinite variations.
What’s a quiz generator (auto-quiz)?
The quiz generator is designed to create ‘evergreen’ content – displaying a new set of questions to your site visitors every hour, day, week, month, or year.
Create a quiz generator / auto-quiz to boost your audience engagement, time on site (great for getting more SEO love from Google), and keep your visitors coming back for more.
Create a quiz generator once – and it will automatically show fresh questions to your audience forever.
- Use our ready-made trivia question databases or
- Upload a spreadsheet (up to 10,000 questions) via CSV or copy/paste into our tool – with your own category, sub-category, and difficulty level.
- For example, you could give your question “How many wives did Henry VIII have?”:
- Category: History
- Sub-category: European history
- Difficulty: 5 / 10
Quiz generator / auto-quiz: video walkthrough
Setting up your quiz generator
Creating your quiz generator / auto-quiz is pretty similar to our other quiz types – including a title screen/description, results, and the like.
The main difference is how you add questions.
You can either:
- Choose an assortment of questions from our pre-loaded questions of up to 20,000 questions for selected languages (Basic and Pro plans).
- Create your question bank – with your questions, categories, and difficulty levels (Team plan only).
The process is the same:
- Create a new ‘Quiz generator’.
- In the ‘create’ step, click on the ‘Question bank’ tile.
- Select your question bank (the list of questions for your quiz).
- Choose which categories (or subcategories) of questions you’d like to include in this quiz.
- Adjust the range of difficulty for each category (from 1-easy to 10-hard).
Creating your own question bank
When selecting your question bank for your quiz generator/auto-quiz , click on ‘create your own’.
You can add questions to your quiz generator in three ways:
- Manually typing questions and answers
- Copy/paste from Excel
- Import your questions as a CSV or Excel/XLS file
IMP’T: For #2 and #3 – your content must match the same column order as our sheet.
Please download our sample CSV here. You can use this to build your own question bank upload file.
[Updated: July 8, 2020 – Be cautious when importing questions as a CSV file and using semicolons in your question or answer text. By definition, CSVs are broken up by ; and , – so using semicolons will cause your question/answers to show up as different entries.]
- Our text: “Amsterdam; The Hague is the seat of government…”
- What happens: “The Hague is the seat of government…” is moved to the next column (Category) and shows up as its own category.
Question fields for the quiz-generator / auto-quiz
- Category – you can also add a subcategory with the ‘:’ (ex. Sports:Soccer)
- Difficulty – must be a number from 1-10 (easy to hard)
- Question text
- Correct answer explanation (optional) – you can leave this blank
- Correct answer
- Wrong answer(s) – you need at least one wrong answer
Adding images (not yet)
However, our quiz generator / auto-quiz currently supports text-only questions.
We thought auto-quizzes would have loads of questions – and adding individual images would be very time-consuming.
But, if you’d like to have us add image support, please let us know via support chat – we’d love to hear that feedback.
Editing a question bank
You can also easily create/manage/edit question banks in the menu in top right corner.
Show new questions – change refresh options
You can also change how often your quiz generator / auto-quiz will display new questions to your quiz takers.
- Edit your quiz generator
- Go to the ‘Customize’ step > ‘quiz generator options’
- Select the time interval – hour/day/week/month/year
Quiz generator / auto-quiz: manually show new questions
Sometimes, you might want to refresh which questions are displayed – before the next scheduled set of questions appears.
One common use case – imagine you add new questions or edit existing ones.
- Go to the ‘Publicize’ step > ‘Extras’
- Click on ‘Reset questions’
Pre-loaded question databases
Don’t want to create your own question bank for your quiz generator / auto-quiz?
We working on providing you with pre-loaded trivia question databases for these languages:
You are free to use these questions in any form without limitations within a Riddle quiz but are not allowed to export them and use them in any format outside of a Riddle quiz.
For a majority of the questions, we are working with and sponsoring OpenQuizzDB – they’re a great non-profit content provider.
The OpenQuizzDB trivia databases are marked with (CC) after their name and the quiz questions are licensed under a Creative Commons license.
OpenQuizzDB is a free content provider whose project is defined by founding principles.
To date, they are the only ones to offer professional content in six languages and in nine different file formats: TXT, CSV, SQL, XML, JSON, PDF, YAML, EPUB and MP3.
Offered under the Creative Commons BY-SA license, their content may be copied and reused under the same license, subject to compliance with the conditions.
OpenQuizzDB provides all its content for free, without advertising, and without resorting to the exploitation of the personal data of its users.
The editors, proofreaders, translators and consultants of the OpenQuizzDB project are volunteers. They coordinate their efforts within a collaborative community, without a leader.
Can we help with your quiz generator?
And of course, if you need any further assistance with your quiz generator / auto-quiz, feel free to contact us on support chat or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re super excited about launching our auto-quiz – and we’re always happy to help!