Animated GIF’s are massively popular today. You’ve probably seen them online in your social feed on Facebook or Twitter – those quirky or funny looping animations that instantly catch your eye. Now you can use them in Riddle’s online quiz creator to boost engagement – we give you a number of ways to make a pop quiz with animated GIFs.
Upload your own animated GIF
It’s easy to create your own animated GIFs – you can use Photoshop or any number of free online tools (our favorite is EZGIF.com).
- Choose ‘upload’ option in our media picker.
- Select or drag and drop your GIF into the box.
However – to keep your quizzes loading quickly for your audience, we have a size limit for each animated GIF file.
And to make things more ‘interesting’ (confusing) – the size of a Riddle GIF isn’t the same as its file size.
Each animated GIF is a collection of frames – and each is its own image. The GIF animates them all – like a paper flip book.
An animated GIF’s file size is based on the number of frames x each frame’s size.
At Riddle, our online quiz maker gives you 100MB limit for the total size of your animated GIFs.
Let’s give an example – imagine you have an animated GIF that’s 250 frames (each 1000 pixels high x 1000 pixels wide). Your GIF file size would be (drum roll) = 250 x 1000 x 1000 = 250,000,000 bytes (250 MB).
You can find more information in our blog post about the ideal size for a quiz with animated GIFs and all other image types.
Reducing the size of your animated GIF
Is your animated GIF too big for you quiz?
Here are some ways you can make it smaller:
- Create each frame as small as possible – using Photoshop or similar programs.
- Our recommended size? 960 pixels wide ×540 high
- Reduce how many frames – 6 frames per second is a good balance of quality vs small file size.
- EZGIF is a good tool if you want to crunch it down – we’ve seen it save 35-40% from an animated GIF.
Search & use GIFs via Giphy
How can you find the perfect animated GIF for your quiz?
There are a number of sites with thousands of GIFs to choose from – but the most famous is Giphy.com.
You can use our in-tool search function to easily make a quiz with animated GIFs.
- Simply search and find the perfect GIF.
- In the ‘advanced’ section, click ‘download’ to save this GIF to your computer.
- Add this to your Riddle quiz using the ‘Upload image’ option.
Animated GIFs using Google
One other tool you can use is to do an image search on Google:
- Simply add ‘animated GIF’ to your search term (ie. cats animated gif)
- Paste the image URL into the image search field.
Just let us know at email@example.com!
(We’re big customer service geeks at Riddle, and everyone from our CEO Boris Pfeiffer on down race each other to help our community with questions.)
PS. Want to see how our partners make a pop quiz with animated GIFs?
Check out our favorite examples in these 23 live examples from top Riddle partners like the BBC and CNN. Their quiz experts know GIFs work – so many of these are a quiz with an animated GIF or two.