Did you know you can make sponsored quizzes with Riddle? Add your advertisers’ branding, run contests, collect emails or video ads – our quiz creator is super flexible. Since quizzes are among ‘the most shared pieces of content‘ (AdWeek), now you can use them to grow your audience AND make more money.
Sponsored quizzes: why so effective?
What are quizzes a good fit for advertising?
First – banner ads are (mostly) dead:
- Banner blindness: CTR has declined from 44% when first introduced in 1996 to a measly .06% today*
- Declining eCPMs = publishers put in more ads, which annoy customers and leads to…
- Ad blocking – now at 48% in the US, 82% in the UK
Second – sponsored quizzes have strong engagement rates:
- Normal web visitors are passive – they read/swipe content, so it’s a big ‘ask’ to get them to click on an ad.
- Quiz users, however, have voluntarily chosen to take your quiz.
- Already actively engaged clicking, they’re far more likely to interact with your sponsors’ content.
Sponsored quizzes: options with Riddle
Create a quiz or other content themed around your advertiser’s products and then choose the right branding customization options for your sponsors.
We designed Riddle from the start to be a powerful, customizable quiz maker. This built-in flexibility gives you several options for making your advertisers happy with Riddle’s quizzes on your site.
These options are like a restaurant menu – you can mix and match the ones that make the most sense for each campaign.
Custom logo: (PRO/ENTERPRISE plans)
The simplest option is to add a clickable logo to any Riddle quiz, list or poll.
- Simple and effective – it associates your sponsor with the quiz in an elegant and non-intrusive way.
- Check out this quiz for the movie “The Accountant” (bottom of the page) from massive soccer/football site 90min.
Add links to quiz results (BASIC/PRO/ENTERPRISE plans)
Place clickable links in the quiz results leading to your sponsor’s site. It’s a natural fit to convert quiz takers to customers – the user has received their results and is ready to go on to something else. Quiz links capitalize on that interest – especially if they are linked to the quiz topic, such as the suggested itineraries around this ‘Visit Sweden’ quiz.
Custom footer (PRO/ENTERPRISE plans)
A subtle footer at the bottom of the quiz unit, sponsors can add links to contests or their campaign’s landing page. Check out this mocked up example with the 90min quiz for ‘The Accountant’:
Custom landing pages (PRO/ENTERPRISE plans)
Use Riddle’s ‘custom result pages’ to seamlessly transfer your users from your quiz to an advertiser-specific landing page.
Shown immediately after the last question (and any included lead generation form), Riddle talks to your site – and passes along the user’s name and results.
You can then display their results however you like – either in the quiz iFrame or on any landing page you’d like to send the user to.
For example, someone who takes our admittedly cheesy ‘The Burger Quiz’ example quiz is receives a special 50% off burger coupon on the advertiser’s completely custom result page:
In-Quiz iFrame (ENTERPRISE plan)
This is the Swiss Army knife of ad placements for sponsored quizzes. Powerful, flexible – we designed this to address requests like:
- “Can we show our sponsor’s video ad before the user’s results?” (Yup)
- “Our client has some proven landing pages – can we use these instead?” (Sure)
- “Our sponsor wants to use Riddles for contests – can they use their entry form from another system?” (Yes!)
The only limitation is your sponsor’s imagination. If you can put content in an iFrame, you can display it in your Riddles to your site’s audience.
Check out this example from 12UP.com with a ‘Like us on Facebook’ iFrame – your sponsors could do the same to grow their social following.
Which player do you hate the most?
Full custom-branding (ENTERPRISE plan)
You can also re-skin any Riddle quiz, list, or poll to match your sponsor’s branding and ad campaign.
Every visual element can be customized, from:
- size and placement of the logo
- button styling
- custom fonts (match any sponsor’s font
Here’s another version of our ‘Burger Quiz’ – that shows:
- Moving the sponsor logo up and added a bit of text to it.
- Showing the quiz title and result copy as a text overlay over the image with a nice transparent background.
- We changed the highlight colors for correct and wrong answers are different.
- Buttons are styled differently, the embed border removed, and so much more.
(Our CEO Boris made this – to show that almost anything is possible. But he’d be the first to admit he’s not a designer.) 😉